Explore the secrets of the smallest state in the world, the heart of Christianity and treasure trove of art, architecture and epic tales, the Vatican City. It’s an experience no one wants to miss out on when in Rome. One of the best ways to see the Vatican is with a Vatican small group tour which allows you to dive deeper and see more than with any other regular tour.
First of all, Vatican small group tour allows you to skip the lines for both the Vatican Museums as well as St Peter’s Basilica. Another benefit that makes this a great tour is a small group size (max 10 people). It gives you that special private tour feel. Furthermore, the excursion will be in hands of an expert tour guide knowledgeable about art history as well as the history of the Vatican.
What to expect?
- As soon as you enter the museum, you will face the impressive Giuseppe Momo’ spiral staircase. One could argue it’s the most photographed staircase on earth.
- Next, you will continue to visit Pinacoteca Vaticana housing a range of stunning paintings by Raphael and Da Vinci;
- After, you will enter the Carriage Pavillion displaying famous ‘papamobili’ or Pope-mobiles (from past to present);
- Number four on the itinerary is the famous Pinecone Courtyard
- Next, you will visit the Gregorian Egyptian Museum showcasing ancient artifacts from ancient Egypt
- Gallery of Statues will impress you with incredible sculptures
- Afterward, you will stroll through the incredible Gallery of Maps featuring a series of painted historical topographical maps
- You will be impressed by the Raphael Rooms well-known for Michelangelo and Raphael’s frescoes;
- The last gallery of the Museums will treat you to the Collection of Contemporary Art;
- Finally, the guide will lead you inside the iconic Sistine Chapel famous for Leonardo da Vinci’s Last Judgement;
- After having explored the Vatican Museums and the Sistine Chapel, you will continue to the St Peter's Basilica, using a special secret corridor only available to group tours. Once inside the basilica, your guide will give you a short excursion of the temple including the main artworks such as St. Peter's Baldachin by Bernini and the crypt (resting places of the popes including John Paul II).
Book your skip the line access Vatican small-group tour today, you won’t regret!
Vatican small group tour takes the experience of the Vatican City to a whole new level. You can forget about hours of queueing or struggling to feel comfortable in large tour groups. You will get to see the best of the Vatican museums, Sistine Chapel and St Peter’s Basilica without rush and crowds stepping on your toes. The tour provides you with:
- personalized assistance at the meeting point;
- highly recommended skip-the-line early access to the Vatican Museums;
- experienced guide with vast knowledge about the history of the Vatican as well as the art that hides inside;
- intimate, small-group ambiance and artworks usually missed by regular tours of the Vatican
- guided tour of the St Peter's Basilica
History Sneak Peek
Vatican City boasts a great deal of history. Here is are a few facts before you go!
Pope Julius II is responsible for the existence of the Vatican museums as he founded it 500 years ago, in the early 16th century.
The start of the museum concept was the purchase of then freshly excavated sculpture of Laocoön and his Sons by Pope Julius II. Upon learning about the excavation of a stunning marble statue, Pope Julius II sent Michelangelo to examine it. Michelangelo gave his blessing and so the first piece of exhibition art was purchased.
The sculpture stood on public display and was so popular it paved the road for further collections.
Julius II was also the one who, in 1508, commissioned Michelangelo to update the ceiling frescoes in the Sistine Chapel. He also hired Raphael to decorate several different rooms and gave him free hand in creating frescoes and artworks which led to the creation of today’s Raphael’s Rooms.
The Popes who followed enriched the collections, the building projects as well as the number of Museums.