If your phone memory is full of Sagrada Familia selfies then its time to head out of the city! For photographers and Instagrammers, the best Barcelona day trips offer a plethora of stunning snaps. Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Montserrat Panorama: a Montserrat day trip from Barcelona may take a few hours, but your reward will be stunning views out of this world. Not up for the hike? The rack railway & cable car will take you up!
- Costa Brava underwater shot: Got a waterproof camera? These waters are famous among scuba-divers as the clearest in the Mediterranean Sea.
- Cathedral Steps of Girona: Whether you are a fan of the Game of Thrones series or you simply love a dramatic angle, strike a pose on these steps. Don’t forget your itinerary for your 24 hours in Girona day tours?
Got a winner? Choose your best snap from one of the three most instagrammable spots listed above, post it on your IG, and tag #dotravelgram to be featured.
Is the smell of croissants wafting over the border tempting you to head off on one of the Barcelona day trips to France? Or, do you have mountain peaks on your mind and a Barcelona to Andorra day trip? For weekend getaways and overnight trips from Barcelona, Spain is your oyster! Jump on the train to catch a flamenco show in Granada, or head off on a day trip from Barcelona to Madrid to explore the capital.
What will you need? Whether it is the beach, mountains or a weekend getaway to one of the cities near Barcelona, here are some essential must-pack items across the board:
- Water: Beat the heat and stay hydrated!
- Sunscreen: No holiday is improved by getting too much sun.
- Rain jacket or umbrella: Yes, even in Spain there’s rain!
- Passport: some sites and attractions may require photo ID. Also, who knows where the day trip could take you? First stop, a Barcelona to Girona day trip, next stop, France!
- Spare cash: especially in the smaller towns and villages outside of Barcelona, card machines and ATMs may be in short supply so travel prepared.
- Swimsuit or trunks: For mountain rivers, sparkling coves or perhaps a municipal swimming pool, you never know!
- Snacks: Remember, most shops shut between 14 and 17 in Catalonia. Don’t get caught out hungry, pack a few energy bars or “frutos secos” (mixed nuts and fruits) in your bag just in case.
The snow-capped mountains of the Pyrenees...or a rural village nestled along the rugged Costa Brava coast...that’s all very well but you do only have one day! If you are short on time and want to experience the best side trips from Barcelona, here are some ideas with a breakdown of distance and your transport options:
Portaventura (111.7km) & Salou (113km): Barcelona day trips from Salou take about 1 hour 14 minutes. The Barcelona day trip to Portaventura also takes around 1.30 hours, and both leave from the Barcelona Sants Train station. Got wheels? Driving takes 1.30 hours for each.
Barcelona Day Trips Girona (102.2km): Driving to Girona from Barcelona only takes 1.20 hours, but parking can be a pain. Trains take between 1.30 and 1.40 hours. For a hassle-free journey where you can sit back and enjoy the view, why not reserve a guided tour and let the rest be done for you?
Barcelona Day Trips Montserrat (61.2km):
This spectacular craggy mountain monastery is a must-see. If you have access to a car, it should take just over an hour (traffic depending). Trains leave from Placa Espana only. For an all-in-one tour, check out all the Monsterrat package deals
Forget about public transport. This area is famous for its crystal clear water, winding cliff roads and boutique restaurants, but it is not well-connected by bus or train from Barcelona. If you want to explore the stunning Costa Brava coastline north of Barcelona, you need a car or to book a Costa Brava day trip from Barcelona
Barcelona to Sitges Day Trip (40.1km): For travelers short on time and looking for a quick and easy beach break, this one is for you! Sitges is a cosmopolitan and charming seaside town just a 45-minute drive or around a 1.30-hour train/bus from Barcelona. Or why not combine Tarragona & Sitges in a private tour or a half day tour by coach.